Skip to main content

Joey Bosa’s durability is concern for the Buffalo Bills. But the team has a plan.

The Buffalo Bills wasted little time creating a health plan around newly signed edge rusher Joey Bosa.

Bills coach Sean McDermott said he’s “excited to have Joey” and there is “the concern on the durability” during his media availability at the NFL owners’ meetings on Monday.

Joey Bosa's durability is concern for the Buffalo Bills. But the team has a  plan. - Yahoo Sports

Bosa, 29, may have returned to Pro Bowl form in his final season with the Los Angeles Chargers last year, playing in 14 of 17 games with five sacks and 13 tackles for loss. But he played in just 14 games total in 2022 and 2023.

The Bills want to ensure Bosa is productive again in 2025, after he signed a one-year deal worth $12.6 million earlier this month to join quarterback Josh Allen and the reigning AFC East champions of the last five seasons.

“Listen, it’s a change of scenery for Joey. We’re excited to have him and his family. We know what he can do. The No. 1 thing is going to be trying to keep him, keep him healthy for us,” McDermott said of Bosa.

All things Bills: Latest Buffalo Bills news, schedule, roster, stats, injury updates and more.

McDermott said he sent messages to Buffalo’s personnel in the training room, the weight room and sports science department – one day after Bosa was signed – to coordinate on Bosa’s health.

Bosa dealt with foot, hamstring and toe injuries during the 2023 season, and a gluteal strain affected his sciatic nerve until he found his form toward the end of last season.

“I sent a text – I think it was the day after we signed Joey – to our training room, our sports science department, our weight room, and making sure we’re getting out in front as much as we can on this,” McDermott said.

“The communication with Joey and meeting Joey was phenomenal. He seems very open to some of the thoughts that are that those departments have already. So, we’re looking forward to working together.”

Bosa will join the Bills for his 10th NFL season. He will turn 30 in July.

  Get the 4th and Monday newsletter in your inbox.

Expert guide of the week’s NFL action, game results and must-see moments.

Bosa was the No. 3 pick and Defensive Rookie of the Year in 2016. He was selected to the Pro Bowl five times during his stint with the Chargers.

Bosa signed a five-year extension worth $135 million in 2020 that made him the league’s highest-paid defensive player at the time. But the Chargers saved $25.36 million in cap space after releasing him earlier this month.

Bosa’s 72 sacks ranked second behind Leslie O’Neal (105.5) in Chargers history. He also had 343 tackles, 157 quarterback hits, 87 tackles for loss, 17 forced fumbles and four fumble recoveries in 107 regular-season games.